In the fall of 2017, the Social Justice Coordinating Team (SJCT) sponsored a three-day workshop for the congregation to help us select the areas of justice work we find most compelling. From that powerful weekend, we developed four new task forces:
- The Environmental Team (Green Team) has targeted two areas for their initial efforts: Supporting the town-by-town fracking waste ban, and making SUUS a Green Sanctuary. Contacts Chris Jobson or Jere Armen
- Supporting Low-Income Youth Team is working with an organization that helps young people (Emerge Youth Build.) We have begun to provide academic tutoring to the young women and men they serve. Contact Linda Brill
- The Gender Issues Justice Team goal is to improve gender relationships and gender dynamics at SUUS and beyond. They work on the issues of reproductive rights, sexual harassment, domestic violence pay inequality, and other issues. To date, they have organized members to attend the March for Women in Hartford on 1/20/18, organized a legislative mailing to our state senators in regards to reproductive rights, provides support to the food pantries and IRIS with feminine and personal product donations once a month, and is discussion of distribution of safe sex brochures with health products. Contact Nancy Stanwood
- The Food Insecurity Team is working to alleviate hunger in our community including the at risk youth enrolled in Emerge Youth Build. Out work continues at the Community Dining Room, Shoreline Food Pantries and assists in the distribution of feminine products to the pantries and to IRIS. Contact Barb Francese
Some of the organizations SUUS has supported in recent years:
Covenant to Care, IRIS, CROP Walk, Hawkwing; KIVA microloan fund; Jewish Voice for Peace, Tree of Life; UUSC; Call To Care Uganda; Shoreline Soup Kitchen and Pantry, Guilford Food Bank; Branford Community Dining Room, Center for Domestic Violence Services; and winter fuel assistance to local towns.
Some of the Sunday Outreach Offerings SJCT collected:
- Hurricane Relief for Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico
- Branford Community Dining Room
- Hawkwing (based in CT/serving the Cheyenne River Lakota Sioux Reservation)
- Fuel assistance in Madison, Branford and Guilford
- Covenant to Care
- RE-MEMBER (serving the Pine Ridge Reservation)
- UUSC for response to Ebola virus epidemic
- Center for Reproductive Rights
- National Resources Defense Council
- UUSC for earthquake relief in Nepal
- Youth Service Opportunities Project
The Standing on the Side of Love Fund (a SUUS fund to assist marginalized people) has financially supported the following:
- KIVA, a micro-finance institution, making small loans to people throughout the world who otherwise have little or no access to conventional bank loans.
- Umbrella Center for Domestic Violence Services, a program of BHCare providing services to victims of domestic violence in southern CT.
- Hawkwing (based in CT/serving the Cheyenne River Lakota Sioux Reservation